Ever since I was swatching the Tiara Trim idea, my daughter thought it looked like a crown. She inspired the name for the trim, which Interweave kept! She even took one of my samples and fashioned it into a crown, which she wore around for several days. She thought she looked like a princess, and I had to agree with her, even though the sample was crocheted in a grey cotton yarn. From that day, I decided I would make her a proper crown using the pattern and some metallic cord.
When I was in America, I went on a hunt for cord. I wanted something that was the right thickness and that wasn't too expensive. I found the perfect cord at a fabric store, but it cost about $1.00 per yard, and this project needs approximately 75 yards, so that was just too rich, even for such a regal crown. I was discouraged, until I found some metallic, plastic canvas cord at Michaels. It cost $1.99 for a 15 yard skein. Much more reasonable! To make a crown to fit my daughter, whose head measures 19 1/2", I used 4 skeins of gold and 1 skein of silver. The cord also comes in jewel colors, so you could make the bobbles different colors to represent rubies, sapphires, and emeralds.
I used a size F/5 (3.75mm) hook and crocheted the 2 bobble trim as written. I omitted the Weaving Cord, since I thought it looked more ornate with the open spaces at the bottom of the crown. I made 5 pattern repeats but ended up overlapping it at the back when I stitched it up, because it stretched more than I thought it would in the blocking process. To block it; I got it damp with hot water and pinned it out on a blocking board, then I steam blocked it with an iron and left it for a few days to dry.
When I had just stitched it together, I looked up and she appeared in front of me in her princess dress. She snatched the crown from my hands and put it on right away to add the finishing touch to her outfit. This fun project can be crocheted in an afternoon and will make a little girl happy for many afternoons!